Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Wow. So much has happened this past week. Where do I begin? Well, my lap top computer officially decided to call it quits last Wednesday afternoon. I was trying to install a new wireless adapter when it went beep beep beep and died. My computer is in the shop until tomorrow, so I'm not singing dirges yet. I still have hope.

In the meantime, I've been visiting the Center for African & African American Studies. This is where we meet for The Austin Project workshops; I also use the computer for internet research. My coda/intro deadline for Erzulie's Skirt is coming up on Monday February 20th and I want to have everything into Lisa C Moore by then, but the computer thing is definitely something I didn't anticipate. I think sometimes, writing just requires adaptability and flexibility. Oh yeah- and resources. There's that!

The workshop is amazing. This past weekend we met a Resistencia bookstore here in Austin and sat in the presence of two incredible elders: raulsalinas and aina olomu. What?!! They were incredible. Just to be in their presence was powerful (it makes me think about how many of our elders from the movements in the 60s are still alive and accessible), but then when they dropped their humility and wisdom on us, it was so moving. I was thinking a lot about the connections between spirituality, creativity and community. The fact that for me, all three are interdependent. In other words - that writing is a practice for me. It's a practice that I stray from sometimes, but one that I try to hold nonetheless. And that writing allows for profound creativity and happens for me in community. Anyway, that was part of the conversation and it was powerful. If you ask me the particulars of what was said, I don't know if I could tell you because what they shared made its way into my subconscious and in many ways has permanently changed me. Oh well, yes, there are a couple of things.

One is that raulsalinas started resistencia books with three books 24 years ago.

The second is when aina olomu said, what's the point of spirituality without community?

Anyways...other than that, we are moving right along. Laurie Carlos will be with us shortly, in March, and I am looking forward to working with her.

Before then, is the upcoming AWP conference: The Association of Writers & Writing Programs Annual Conference. Yes - I missed the online registration deadline, but I'll be there. And so will some great friends. I'm really excited about that.

Some women here in Austin who are Cave Canem fellows and alumni will be reading their stuff. As soon as I have more info, I'll pass it on.

It's great to be here. Peace

No comments: