Tuesday, April 04, 2006


March winds have given way to April humidity and spring. Spring - I am remembering what Spring feels like. NYC hasn't had spring in the past couple of years, and so this is my first continental spring in a long time - since 1999!

Laurie Carlos has been in town these past two weeks. We've been working with her on movement and our upcoming The Austin Project performance, scheduled for this Saturday at UT and at the Off Center. It's been daily and intense work. For example, taking what we've written and breaking it down into a series of present moments that are elicited by different people simultaneously - how to explain it? It's within the jazz aesthetic, and so in order to understand what's going on, it's first important to let go of linear thinking, melodies & harmonies as "pretty" things, and it's also important to think of the body, including the voice as an instrument. And so we're using the instrument of our bodies - our hands, eyes, feet, bellies, butts, everything - to move through space and time. Each movement has to be a total integration of our experiences not just of each others' work, but of our own experience within each others' work and within the world. Simultaneously, we're using our voices in syncopation harmonic dissonance - so there's a harmony, but the harmony is based in non-linear time, and the listening takes place within each person.

It's exciting, it's unlike anything I've ever done and it's blowing me out of the water. I've been contemplating what it means to be brilliant and vulnerable in our work (collectively, individually), and to hold the responsibility of all of that. Laurie always says, women will heal the world and make it whole. And, I think a big part of that is finding wholeness/integrity within ourselves. At least, that is part of the lesson of what I'm learning.

The work for the Austin Project has been so intense, that I've only been able to work on a few other things. Friends have been in town, and that's been lovely. I got to discover Barton Springs with H.A. and that was gorgeous. Next to the Springs there is a hiking path and a riverbed, which is dry at the moment. We all walked through the cedar grove, and down the riverbed looking at rocks and plants - spring wild flowers popping up through the grass. Wu and I discovered that the fossils in the riverbed are over 100 million years old. Yeah - I barely understand what a hundred years looks like.

We ushered for a local ProArts production of Kissing the Goodbye, staged at the State Theatre here in Austin. It's interesting - the show made me think about the need for critique of people of color's creative work. In other words - it's so important to think about the context of a work, the purpose, the delivery and the integrity of a work in order to understand its implications. Between that show, and the show of Black Women Artists at the Dougherty Arts Center here in Austin, I think it's very possible to begin a dialogue that looks at the energy, dynamics and presence of works by artists of color in central Texas. And again, the implications of this work at this moment in history.

On a final note for today, I am excited to be getting the cover for Erzulie's Skirt soon. Once I have it, I can post it on my website. Yay!

No comments: