Tuesday, March 13, 2007

So, this cat Greg Patillo is really sweet and really amazing. Great on the flute and cool at beatboxing. So much fun. And to Inspector Gadget? What?

These days I'm trying to not get sucked into youtube.com but it just so happened that I was watching Idea Hour when Greg's videop popped up. I couldn't believe it. I saw him perform in NYC and I've been talking about him ever since. So here it is:




On another note, I just got the latest issue of Sable LitMag - it's gorgeous. Kamau Brathwaite is on the cover. It's been so much fun to read - especially next to BOMB magazine's America's issue which features a wonderful interview of Cherie Moraga by Adelina Anthony, an interview with Los Tigres del Norte and numerous other contributions.

I found out yesterday I was accepted into the Can Serrat residency in northern Spain (about 40 minutes outside of Barcelona) for November and that my friend Y.C. is going at the same time. Needless to say I'm so excited. Both for the opportunity to have concentrated writing time and also because of being there with a dear friend and colleague. This is turning out to be quite an interesting and exciting year in terms of working pace and environment. April's a full month: between April 5 and 14 I'll be in the Bay Area giving readings; April 16th I head to the Atlantic Center for the Arts where I will be in residency with Alice Notley (so excited!!) and somewhere in the middle of that (April 25) I'll be heading up to Minneapolis to give two readings - one at Amazon Books and the other at the University of Minneapolis. I get back to Austin May 6th. I'm planning on applying for Naropa and I applied for Cave Canem, and then in the fall I'll be at Can Serrat. Where do I find out about these residencies? Well, word of mouth, and also this great website for artists: Alliance of Artists Communities. They have listings of residencies around the world. I also swallow Poets& Writers magazine, especially their issues on residencies and conferences. And I apply. Apply, apply, apply. I figure if there's any chance at all, I might as well risk it.

And so it goes.

I've just posted another interview on the Magic Makers page. It's an interview with Bay Area writer Yosenio Lewis. Check it out!

Oh, and one more thing. So this week, I started an experiment with a friend of mine. We're writing in our weaker languages. He's writing in English (he's Cuban) and I'm writing in Spanish. It's quite intense to write in a language so familiar and yet so seemingly inaccessible. Which of course has nothing to do with the language and everything to do with my own fears as a writer. It's going well so far. I'm finding that I'm accessing different experiences and visuals in the Spanish writing. And it's awesome to be working with L.G. because he's an incredible experimental writer. So much fun.

I'm off to go see The Price of Sugar, which is premiering this week at the South by Southwest film festival. Then off to a silk screening class at the Rhizome Collective.

Peace.

No comments: