Tuesday, April 03, 2007

I just got back from San Antonio. I read with Anel Flores and Pablo Miguel Martinez at Trinity College - an event hosted by the Sexual Diversity Alliance. It was such a sweet event, with a really great turn out. Dr. Bladimir Ruiz coordinated everything and made it a warm event. Anel read from her piece "Empanada". Pablo read his poetry, including some steamy haikus and prayers to begin and end. I actually read poetry - and a short excerpt from Erzulie's Skirt - but mostly poetry. It's been a little while since I've read as a poet, so it was nice to feel my feet in my shoes again, and to notice how I'm filling them differently. I'll post a few of the poems up on the blog in a bit, after I've had a chance to work on them some more. This is us:

It's so sweet: the students gave us all flowers.

Steven Fullwood, who I got to interview for the Magic Makers Project, just posted an interview with me on his website. The interview was so much fun to read and answer. He is so amazing. I can't wait to transcribe and post his interview (along with Cheryl Boyce-Taylor's, Wura-Natasha Ogunji's and Matt Richardson's). His website/blog is a ton of fun. He also just posted an interview with Baron and has some of his poetry up, too. Yay!

I'm off to the Bay Area tomorrow morning. I'm looking forward to the readings and seeing friends, to wandering the streets and spending some time revisiting old haunts. Like Kabuki Springs (so excited). And the African grocery run by Chinese Jamaican grocers in Oakland. They sell my favorite sweet plantain chips there (or is it the Nigerian store on the corner?). And of course all the wonderful cafes in San Francisco. Maybe, if I have time, I'll even go hiking up in the Redwoods.

For now - peace and love.

No comments: