Friday, July 13, 2007

It's Friday the 13th - one of my favorite days actually. One becaues it's Friday and two because 13 is an awesomely powerful number.

But anyway, I just wanted to share some things that had come my way. There's a film, distributed by Ethnoscope Film & Video, titled Muxe. In the words of the reviewer, "Among the Zapotec Indians of Oaxaca, Mexico, boy babies who are born in a certain position, or little boys who prefer to play with girls, are raised as women, and are known as Muxes (pronounced "Mooshays"). n the town of Juchitán, in the Isthmus of Tehuantepec, Muxes have an important role to play in the life of the community." There's more, of course, but this is a rough intro.

The review also cites Paris is Burning, which interestingly enough we watched on the bus on the way to the Cave Canem reading in Pittsburgh. And which is a film that I love and still find incredibly relevant. And for awhile, I considered riffing off of the theory on that film and connecting to the real fires in Paris in 2005 - when Paris was being burned down by folks tired of being sick and tired. But, that is a paper that will have to wait for someone else to write it. If it hasn't been written yet (though like Nina Simone's Mississippi Goddamn I could swear I've heard the rest of the story).

Next week, RedBone Press is having an author retreat, thanks to the generous Lisa C Moore and other folks who are going to make this happen. I'm so excited to meet everyone face to face and then to spend FOUR DAYS with folks, including partners and friends, having a film festival, cooking, eating and talking about our work. This is going to be transformative and amazing and I can't wait. We're having a reading Friday night at the Victory Grill here in Austin, thanks to ALLGO.

I'm off to work on a grant. Wish me luck.

Peace.

No comments: