Friday, February 29, 2008



Pënz hits New York City!!



I'm actually in New York City for an Astraea Board meeting. Yes, the word is getting out: I'm now on the Astraea Board. I'm very excited to work with this incredible foundation that has been at the forefront of feminist, social justice based philanthropy for the last 30 years. It's an honor, really.

While here, I'm taking the opportunity to perform Pënz, and to visit museums. Today I went to the Brooklyn Museum of Art - which I try to go to when I'm here - and saw the Ghada Amer exhibit. I'm disappointed the museum didn't put out a catalogue of her work, but it was amazing to see her paintings in person - the way the threads hang down like paint across a canvas. She also had photo stills from several installations from around the world. One in which she made a sandbox that spelled out: 70% de los pobres son mujeres - something like that, which was installed on the Rambla Raval in Barcelona.

Beautiful work.

Well, I'm off to eat some sushi from Kiku.

Peace.

1 comment:

k. terumi shorb said...

dude,
i'm jealous. and i miss you. doing your boarding!
kt
ps thanks for the andy smith post. i got the info through other channels, but it's good to see how wide the info is.